skip to Main Content

Heritage Trees & Woodland

Pihopa Retreat is set in 5.5 acres of beautiful, park-like gardens and borders alongside the 2.4ha Bishopdale Reserve. The grounds are enhanced by heritage landscape trees which are over 100 years old. 14 of these trees are protected, along with a heritage woodland.  Join us for a walk around the property where we can point out the Quercus robur (English oak), planted in 1864 by Edmund and Walter, the young sons of Edmund Hobhouse, the first Bishop of Nelson, the Pinus radiata (Monterey pine), planted about the turn of the century, the Araucaria bidwillii (Bunya Bunya), and the Chamaecyparis lawsoniana (Lawson cypress).

Pihopa Retreat Heritage Trees & Woodland
Pihopa Retreat Orchard Garden

The Orchard

We are lucky to have an abundance of fruit trees on the property, bringing treats to our table and your breakfast platter at different times of the year.  Plums and apples are the most delicious and plentiful, peaches and figs provide a race to see whether the birds or humans get to enjoy! Lemons and mandarins are dotted around in the sunnier spots, while two seemingly small feijoa bushes provide too much fruit to use here at Pihopa Retreat, so others get to enjoy as well.  Grapes, blackberries and macadamia nuts also grow on the property.  Watch this space for Avocados, passionfruit, nectarines and grapefruit which are newly planted.

The History

The house sits on the site which was part of the original Nelson Diocese estate, consisting of 158 acres purchased in 1862. The original Bishops Residence was built in 1868 and the Bishopdale Chapel which is still a working chapel today was built in 1877. The main house we live in today was the second Bishops Residence, built in 1925 after the closure and demolition of the Bishopdale Theological College.

The History

The house sits on the site which was part of the original Nelson Diocese estate, consisting of 158 acres purchased in 1862. The original Bishops Residence was built in 1868 and the Bishopdale Chapel which is still a working chapel today was built in 1877. The main house we live in today was the second Bishops Residence, built in 1925 after the closure and demolition of the Bishopdale Theological College.

Back To Top